Leading the revitalization of the C&O Canal in Georgetown is one of the most exciting opportunities to do impactful placemaking and park development in Washington DC.
Georgetown Heritage seeks a leader to spearhead the renovation and enhancement of the C&O Canal in Georgetown as its Director of Planning and Development. We seek a special person who has both planning and project delivery experience along with strong leadership and organizational skills, vision, creativity, and enthusiasm to help lead the revitalization of the C&O Canal Park in Georgetown.
The Georgetown Canal team is a strategic partnership between Georgetown Heritage, the National Park Service, the Georgetown Business Improvement District and the District of Columbia Office of Planning. The principal design consultant is James Corner Field Operations. This is a dream job for someone who wants to play a central role in the planning and implementing a once-in-a-lifetime public redevelopment project running through the heart of Georgetown in the Nation’s Capital. The initial projects to be planned and implemented include the design, entitlement and development of a new Georgetown welcome, education, and visitor center; revitalization of the historic tow path; design and upgrading of several public plazas; and orientation and safety improvements.
Professional planning experience in the DC area is a plus.
• Serve as convenor and organizer of the Georgetown Canal Plan Steering Committee and coordinate all planning activities between consultants, the National Park Service, DC Government and Georgetown Heritage and BID representatives.
• Develop project schedules, budgets, scopes of work, RFP, and contracts to see individual projects from planning through completion.
• Work with partners to lead plans through local and federal approval process including NEPA, 106, ADA, and OGB/CFA.
• Manage all consultants and contractors
• Prepare all required reports
• Assist with organizational leadership, administration, and board and staff management.
• Other tasks as assigned.